Saturday, December 5, 2009

Cold Saturday Bookstore Lurking


FREDDIE COUGAR keepin' it rael in the horror section.

While visiting the in-laws in St. Petersburg (to help install a stubborn wall mounting microwave), I talked LeEtta into to stopping at Wilson's Bookworld. This was not a difficult thing to do since she's been coming to Wilson's for many, many years. We have a new library and still have quite a bit of shelf space so... First I ravaged the 3 for a dollar comics for Batman (Detective Comics, Legends of the Dark Knight, etc.), The New Mutants (Bill Sienkiewicz!), Alpha Flight, and other various nerdy things. Then I moved onto the horror books...





I freakin' love Robert R. McCammon. Ever since I read Stinger and The Wolf's Hour back in the day, he's always had a special place in my heart. The duder is just one of my favorite horror novelists of all time. If you see either The Night Boat or Mystery Walk in the used book shop, don't pass them up. I've read Blue World before and am anxious to revisit it. Usher's Passing threw me off the first time but I'm going to give it another go. Hopefully, it will be a good one.



I had this urge to read F. Paul Wilson's The Keep but they didn't have it. Instead I found something totally unrelated and really trashy looking. It is Shock Waves by Thomas Tessier. Oh yeah, I love that cover. It is all kinds of slasheriffic and I can't wait to dig into this dude's writing. And the book is only 219 pages! God bless 80s horror novels. Why can't they all be that brief?



Finally, my magical wife found me the first volume of Dylan Dog. This is the Italian horror comic that inspired the magnificent film Dellamorte Dellamore AKA Cemetery Man. She got me the first three volumes in Italian a while back to help inspire me to learn the language. Well, now I don't have to! I've got the English version now. Sigh. No, I will still try and learn Italian, damn it all.

1 comment:

  1. I have to say NOPE on that Shock Waves book. I got about 50 pages into it and decided to bail. There were two storylines: one good: the killer, one bad: the chick dating/marrying the district attorney. What will happen when their paths cross?!?!

    I will never know.

    ReplyDelete