Wednesday, November 4, 2009

The Novel - Part 1



So what the damn hell is my stinky novel about anyway? The short version goes like this: A high school girl finds out her father is a serial killer which may or may not be a bad thing. It occurred to me that no one in the history of popular culture has ever written a horror novel about a serial killer. The killing of serials remains the last great untouched resource of creative ideas for novelists. I must be the first person to try and describe what makes these murderers tick. Hoowee hoowee wow!

So yeah, I am now 849 words into my novel which is tentatively titled "Winter" or "More Winter" or "That's My Triangle Ram Don't Free The Pee". Actually, I got up to 23 grand last year but didn't even come close to what I'm trying to do with this thing. So hopefully, if I get this second part of the novel up to the 50,000 word mark, I'll have something pretty substantial on my hands.

This serial killer idea has been kicking around in my head since Thanksgiving of 2002. You see, I went on this 23 hour roadtrip with my future wife and future in-laws and started to develop the idea on the road. Why do family activities make me think about murder? Seven years later, I'm still trying to get this dang friggin' thing on paper or Word document or whatever. Anyway, wish me luck.

Here's what I want my book to sound like:

No comments:

Post a Comment