Tuesday, June 9, 2009

This is Horror



MTV aired a series called "This is Horror" (AKA "Stephen King's World of Horror") back in 1989 and it could be responsible for my development into the freakish man I am today. Had it not been for this collection of interviews and gruesome clips, I may never have developed my Linnea Quigley fixation and pursued Night of the Demons and Sorority Babes in the Slimeball Bowl-O-Rama so doggedly. I was also introduced to the world of Sam Raimi. After watching the segment on the Evil Dead series, I immediately went out and talked my parents into renting parts 1 and 2. And then I proceeded to watch Evil Dead 2: Dead by Dawn about 15 times. (Luckily, they didn't watch them with me or my horror smorgasbord would have been over before it started.)

"This is Horror" was a rallying cry to horror fans. It confirmed what my 12 year old brain already loved about the genre and it opened my eyes to an entire universe of insanely sick and creepy stuff. Unfortunately, this series has been neglected by the DVD age so far. Some kind souls have placed some clips on Youtube but the entire series is tough to find. Here is an excellent review of the Japanese laserdisc which carries the title Encyclopedia of Horror.











Brian Yuzna segment

1 comment: