Monday, October 14, 2024

THE INVASIAN: A Time Slip of 10000 Years: Prime Rose (1983)

  

Two huge pieces of land just disappear from both the United States and Japan. An alien who looks like Spock has transported the people living there 10,000 years into the future and is forcing them into slave labor. Now it’s up to the sword-swingin’ Emiya to rescue them! Is she up to this task? Not quite, but don’t worry. Once she gets her rigorous training from a master swordsman, she’s good to go. Also, there’s a dragon. I think.

Even though I just watched this, I really had to struggle just now to remember what it was about. Fan service, relentless plot silliness, lots of action, and an annoying sidekick make Prime Rose kinda fun. This film overstays its welcome for about 10 minutes or so, but it gives me that wistful false memory nostalgia I crave. If I had seen this back in the 90s when all that was available was bottom of the barrel crap at Blockbuster Video, I would most certainly have had a very warm space in my heart for it.

“Crud! Is this the end?”

In my continuing efforts to dig deep and mine more and more 1980s anime, I stumbled upon this minor gem -okay, gem might be too strong of a word- that I had never heard of. Prime Rose comes from Satoshi Dezaki, director of Grey Digital Target (1986) and a couple of the Urusei Yatsura feature films. This one was adapted from manga legend Osamu Tezuka’s 1982 story. The animation was handled by Magic Bus anime studio which has too many credits to even get into. Let’s just say you’ve very likely seen some of their work at some point.

No comments:

Post a Comment